Crossing Oceans in Small Boats
As someone with fibromyalgia, crossing an ocean is a journey I’m unlikely ever to take, and quite honestly, I’m not sure I’d want to. As romantic and adventurous as an ocean crossing can sound, it’s unlikely that my health would ever allow me to get the extended sailing experience I would need to safely make such a journey. That, and my hubby Greg (the only crew member I’d trust) says, “I will never want to do that.” Oh, and there’s my mom, who said last Christmas, “Stop putting those ocean crossing books on your wishlist, I will never buy those, I don’t want you getting any ideas.” Too late, Mom!
All that said, it’s fun to think about! And I like to collect information. The more links I save, the longer my bookmarks file gets, so I’m putting them here instead, to share the wealth with other armchair ocean-crossers.
Choosing your small boat:
- Selecting a boat for offshore cruising
- Choosing a small voyaging sailboat
- Seaworthiness Q&A (Small Boat Advisor Blog, November 2008 – Great blog post.)
- Carl Adler’s Sail Calculator
Small boats on big journeys:
- Montgomery 17 trailer sailor crosses an ocean. (June 2008)
- Why bigger isn’t always better (Sail Magazine, August 2013)
- The advantages of a small boat (April 2012)
Preparing for your journey:
- How the sea changes me – by my personal hero(ine), Karen Sullivan.
- Taming your fear (January 2005)
- Recommended reading for new and advanced sailors (Offshoresailing.com)
- Top Ten Books to Prepare You for Cruising (Cruising World, October 2011)
- Comparison of a windvane and autopilot (December 2011)